This is a great one for winter (via BBC Good Food, serves 4)
- 1 butternut squash, about 1kg, peeled and deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tpsp butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 mild red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 850ml hot vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche, plus extra to serve
- Heat oven to 200c, 180c fan. Cut the squash into large cubes, then toss into a large roasting tin with half the olive oil. Roast for 30 mins until golden and soft (turning once).
- While the squash cooks, melt the butter with the remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, garlic and 3/4 of the chilli. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15-20 mins until the onions are completely soft.
- Tip the squash into the pan, add the stock and creme fraiche, blend until smooth.
- Serve the soup with swirls of creme fraiche.