As most of you know, I live in the wonderful South London, specifically Tooting. I love all the culture, history and variety that surrounds Tooting, and my family have worked in the area for over 30 years.
Rick's Restaurant (also know as Rick's Cafe), is one of the many successful restaurants here, specialising in European food with a few Spanish dishes (Rick is half Spanish, himself). And to my delight, Rick (who has also worked in top restaurants such as 'Chez Bruce' in Wandsworth) has agreed to offer us some exclusive recipes for my blog.
Seared mackerel fillets over the sexiest cous cous salad.
This is a great healthy, low calorie, summer dish, it doesn't have to be mackerel: it could be salmon fillets or scallops, whatever you fancy!
Ingredients for the salad
- 150g Cous Cous
- 50ml Olive Oil
- 1/3 cucumber grated
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- Half pint of herbs roughly chopped. Try basil, mint, flat parsley, coriander...
- Some chopped chilli red or green (remove seeds if you prefer)
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Half a red pepper, diced small
Ingredients for the fish
- 2 mackerels filleted. Make sure the spikey ribs around the belly cavity are removed.
- Put cous cous in a bowl with olive oil and 100ml of boiling water. Mix well and add a little salt and cling film, set aside to rehydrate and cool. When cous cous cous is cold add all other salad ingredients and set aside.
- To sear the mackerel heat a frying pan with a teaspoon of olive oil, and place fish skin side down and season with salt and pepper, the skin will crisp and make the kitchen smokey!
- Turn the fillets when brown and crisp and cook for another minute. Once cooked place on kitchen roll for 10 seconds to remove oil.
- Divide cous cous onto plate and place fish on top with a slice of lemon or lime.
This also works well with a dipping dish of Soy.
I think a glass of Albarino or Muscadet would go down well with this, and only a bowl, pan and 2 plates to wash up!
Rick the Chef.
122 Mitcham Road, Tooting, London, SW17 9NH . 020 8767 5219