via Anthony Worrall Thompson Low Fat Cookbook
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, fineley chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 dried chillies
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- Pinch of saffron
- Half tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 325g arborio or risotto rice
- 115g petits pois
- 115g baby broad beans
- 1 large courgette, diced into 5mm cubes
- 12 pitted black olives
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Heat the stock and water in a pan to boiling.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil then cook the onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and chillies gently for 10-12 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the red pepper, turmeric, saffron, paprika and rice until well combined, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and cook for approx 18 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the peas, broad beans, courgette and olives and cover with a lid, turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley and serve.