I've been told I'm a good packer.
I do, in fact, have a bit of a plan....
1. Pick a basic colour palette, which you can build up. Monochrome is always good:
2. Add a healthy dose of denim, it always works (and can be worn in the evening if turns out to be a bit cold):
3. Be ORGANISED. I know it's not cool, but I often work out in my head or on a notebook what I'm going to wear each night so I don't take anything I don't need.
4. A breton top and a shirt is never a bad idea.
5. Always take a waterproof. Even if it says blue skies - it has rained on me in Barbados before, so I don't take chances. And neon always goes down well with me...
7. TAKE MINIATURES. I actually have a box under my bed full of miniatures I collect on my travels so I am never without at home. Don't forget toothpaste - Hotels often provide shampoo etc but rarely toothpaste.
And there you have it, a perfectly formed minibreak case full of essentials but a few quirks (oh, and I added a leopard print jacket in at the end, too - just in case).
See what I actually wear on my NYC trip next week. Join me on my travels via Instagram, until then.