|Shirt: H&M (in store now). Leather skirt: £55, Asos. Bag: £236 Manu Atelier. Shoes: £62, Topshop (back in stock). Glasses: Burberry. Watch: Shore Projects. Photographs: Ella Sadika|
But hey, sometimes it would be nice to be told 'you look beautiful with your glasses'...! This is something I've been discussing with Bobbi Brown for a while, and is something they really believe in - so I thought I'd see if they could work miracles.
|Bobbi Brown store, Covent Garden|
Amalie in Covent Garden is a genius, if you ever get a makeover there, go see her - she is honest but doesn't ever make you have anything you wouldn't want or feel comfortable with. She got straight down to business and looked at how I wore my make-up and just tweaked a few things, which made such a difference - here's what I learnt:
- Brows are important - do them first - as it helps frame the face.
- Focus on where the eyes are stationed. If your frames are big underneath (like mine) - try a smokey eye underneath to fill the space, rather than fill out on top.
|Trying 'Cobalt Ink' eyeliner instead of black to bring out my green eyes.|
- Make sure you use a shadow stick/base so that your eyeliner holds without smearing/smudging.
- By smudging your eyeliner underneath, this makes your make-up look less stark and actually makes them more impactful.
- Always fill in between the roots of the lashes under your top lid - "tightlining" (no, I had never heard of this either). This way there is no skin gap so your eyes really pop. You can do this with your regular eyeliner (Amalie used a small brush for this).
- Always use more 'corrector' than concealer. You should be using a 70/30 ratio. Corrector actually takes away the darkness and then concealer brings the colour back to your skin tone.
- If you're, like me, prone to smudging mascara, used a non smudge version, to let your skin and lashes breathe without bleeding.
- If doing a heavier eye, go easy on the blusher. In the past I've always used pink blush, but Amalie introduced me to a much more subtle 'pastel peach' version instead. I'm hooked.
|Crystal Pink Sheer Lip Colour. Rose-gold necklace: £85, Daisy London|
|Shirt: H&M (in store now). Leather skirt: £55, Asos. Bag: £236 Manu Atelier. Watch: Shore Projects|
So, there we go. I felt really 'done' walking around Covent Garden but I felt good. And when getting ready for a wedding this weekend? The first thing I did was tightline and correct under my eyes. Times, they are a-changing.