|Shirt: L'Agence (there's a lovely lace chiffon mix blouse from Zara here). Clutch: Clare V at Modern Society. Jeans: £30, Asos. Jewellery: Cadenzza. Sunglasses: £35 in the sale, Le Specs at Very Exclusive. Nails in 'Wardrobe': £5, Topshop. Photograph: Christopher O'Donnell|
|L-R: Decleor, James Read, Bondi Sands and Vichy. Tray: £9.35, Hay. Hand cream:£23, Byredo|
1. Decleor Aroma Sun Expert self tanning milk, £24, Feel Unique
I've been a fan of this for years: it glides on easily, is uncoloured and leaves a really subtle but warm glow.
2. Vichy Ideal self tan face and body, £9.35, Look Fantastic
I've used this for a few years now: it doesn't break the bank, it's a bit more subtle than the others so hardly any streaky marks, and it's gentle enough to use on the face too.
3. James Read overnight tan, £35, Asos
A new obsession (recommended to me by a blog reader through Instagram!). I've never used much product on my face before as it brings me out in spots, but this overnight tan goes on clear like a serum (so no messy pillows) and you wake up looking fresh and without the need for as much make-up - the dream. I tested out the body serum for the first time last week and trust me, it's worth it. Plus no wasted time wondering around in a dressing gown waiting for it to dry!
4. Bondi Sands Liquid Gold dry oil, £14.99, Boots
I really like this brand - it's the only fake tan that actually smells nice (like coconut suncream!) but also I love that you can just pick it up easily from the High Street. The dry oil is probably not for beginners, but this would be a great one to take on holiday to work with your holiday glow. And maybe don't apply near carpet(!).
- I don't do everyday tan really, I'm too timepoor, so would rather do it less frequently and it last longer. All of these tans I have chosen work to that effect. I go for a medium tan (I have done dark which has looked good but hard to get off your hands!).
- The key to making it look even is to really rub it in, especially around those joints. Don't leave it feeling wet. When you get to your hands, do a circular motion and kind of glide over your fingers lightly, don't rub it onto your fingers.
|Blouse: £195, Ghost. Suede skirt: £49.95, Lindex. Bag: £290, Manu Atelier. Circle necklace: £39, Tom Shot at Cadenzza. Cone necklace: £69,Cadenzza. Bracelet: £39, Tom Shot at Cadenzza. Ring: Kenzo at Cadenzza.|
- Try and do it before you go to bed so that you can shower off any excess in the morning and scrub any problem areas (should you need to!).
- Don't overdo it. I do it maybe twice a week during the summer, and try to top up with sun. I apply it as and when, and don't make it part of my routine, so I don't ever look too orange.
- Do look in stores like TK Maxx, I have spotted James Read tan in there, as well as Decleor.
- You don't have to do the whole body if you don't need to. I often just fake tan my chest as that's the part that is exposed to the sun the least (weirdly, my legs stay brown all year round).